Thursday, October 15, 2009

Scholastic

I can clearly remember book fair days when I was in school. I would be giddy with excitement all day, waiting for my turn to go to the library and peruse the tables and tables of books. It was peaceful and quiet (I realize that seems weird it was quiet, because there had to be a lot of kids there, right? But I don't remember that part - did we go as a class or on our own every year? Bad memory and all. I do remember going one year when I must've gone during an off time, because there were only a few people in there, I had the library to myself practically. All those books and just me) and smelled good. I know, weird. But it smelled like new books. I loved looking at them stacked in neat piles on the tables. It was so hard to choose which ones to buy, because I wanted them all it seemed. It's hard to put into words, but if I close my eyes, I truly can imagine myself back there, loving to read, being overwhelmed by all the books and just feeling happy to be at the book fair. As you can see, I really, really like books and reading.

For the past couple years I've noticed the signs on our schools announcing the book fair. Each time I think about how I can't wait for Emma to go to her first book fair and pick out a book all of her own choosing. But, we're still a couple years away from that.

Then last week, I found these in Emma's parent mailbox at preschool:


Scholastic Book Fair order forms!

I was unbelievably excited. Giddy all over again. I restrained myself and only chose eleven books. But that was a bit excessive, so I narrowed it down to five and turned my order in today.

We'll soon be adding these books to our collection:
Apple Trouble
Wise Up, Silly Owl
Pumpkin Town
The Silly Turkey Party
The Very Cranky Bear
I'm happy.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I have to admit I had the same reaction the first time one of the boys brought home the fliers. :) Pace yourself, you'll have years and years of fliers and fairs. LOVE them!

Mary said...

E-
Scholastic has a warehouse right in the back of my building here at work and they have book sales several times a year.....you get to go through the WHOLE warehouse of books. I've only gone over there a couple times, but it might be worth it for you to come out here for it. I'll let you know the next time I see their signs for the sales - they usually last a few days.