Monday, September 27, 2010

So, I was at church last Sunday when... water broke. But I didn't realize it for it was no big gush of water like everyone talks about. I know, looking back, really stupid of me. I called my doctor when we got home and he told me to head to the hospital to get checked out. Naively, at this point, I still thought I'd be coming home. I did throw some things in a bag "just in case" but I certainly didn't do a thorough packing job. The girls went across the street to Beth's and we headed to Marymount.

Here's what turned out to be my last picture pregnant with Ryan, taken in the hospital parking lot around 2:30 pm.

I soon found out that yes, my water broke and yes, I was going to be having a c-section that day. This was totally a surprise to me. Emma was 9 days late and Mackenzie made it to her scheduled c-section date 6 days before her due date. I thought there was no way I'd ever go early. I'd thought I had the whole next week to get the last few things done on my to-do list, to have a special day out with the girls, to get some errands done, to just rest. But Ryan didn't want to wait any more and he was coming 11 days early, 9 days before his scheduled c-section. Finding out he was going to be born this day was exciting. Not so exciting was the fact that because I had eaten lunch - since I didn't really think my water had broke - I had to wait 8 hours from when I ate to have the c-section. Which was 9:30 that night. Which meant I got to hang out in that hospital bed for 7 hours.

About 9:30 I walked down to the operating room, got my spinal and shortly after Ryan Michael was born. September 19th, 2010. 10:02 pm. 6lbs, 12.3 oz and 19 inches long. Absolutely beautiful.

Holding him for the first time in recovery, around 11:45 that night.

Monday Michael brought the girls up to meet their brother. Love at first sight for sure. They were fascinated. We took our first picture as a family of five. This, for the record, was not easy.
I stayed until Wednesday night and the girls were so excited to have us home. I've had great help from my mom and mother-in-law both with entertaining the girls and taking Emma to school and other errands since I can't drive yet. Hoping I get the all-clear for that on Friday at my check-up. And now it's time for more snuggling with my cute little ten-day-old. :)
Posted by Picasa


Mary said...

YAY! I've been waiting for a post!!! I'm so happy for you all - a little boy sure is fun! I'll have to figure out when I can come visit soon! Hope you're feeling good and adapting to being a mother of three!!!

Marie said...

still kills me they call him "the brother" hee hee :)

darcy said...

AWe.. so, so awesome! Congrats on going early! WEll, probably different if you have a scheduled c-section and go early! What a great looking family!

Chris and Paige Evans said...

Congrats Erin! So happy for you and your family :) Wish mine would come now..........